Here at Mobiniti, we’re all about text messages, and the reason they work as well as they do is because of how personal they are. They’re messages that go right into people’s pockets. Messages which we have all programmed ourselves to open as soon as possible. Segmented text marketing programs people to open messages even faster.
It’s time to get up close and personal… with your customers. Personally, we love that idea! Segmented text marketing is all about how personal and relevant your marketing messages are to the buyer. In other words, how much you personally appeal to the subscribers you’re marketing to. Also, how accurately you understand their buying behaviors and patterns, and how likely they are to buy certain items.
Today we’ll be talking through some use cases of how a retail location or e-commerce store might use targeted text marketing as well as how they might segment their subscribers into groups.
How does Mobiniti enable me to segment my text marketing subscriber list?
Mobiniti’s Groups and Keywords feature offers several ways to segment your list by groups. Mobiniti allows you to create keywords, which subscribers can send a text to a short code, long code, or toll-free number, in order to be sorted into a relevant group or segment. We also allow you to create Web Opt-In pages for any number of groups you create. Mobiniti also has the ability for you to create as many embeddable widgets as you would like based on the number of groups you create. You can create and sort your groups in any number of ways you can imagine, but just to give you a creative springboard, we’ve provided some examples of how a retailer might segment their list below.
Segment your text marketing in a smart way
- Segment by gender. Men and women have different clothing sections in most clothing stores. Split them into two groups, and advertise different keywords for discounts and promotions related to men’s clothes and women’s. Example: A clothing store creates a unique keyword so contacts can opt-in to receive deals related to men’s clothing or women’s clothing.
- Segment by different locations. Your patrons live in different places. This means they go to different retail stores or pay different shipping costs. Then you personalize your messages and appeal to them even more. Example: The Florida location of a retail store offers a special sale on swimsuits in January. The sale wouldn’t make sense to go to the Maine location.
- Segment by lifestyle. Sporting goods and apparel store might want to segment based on the type of sportspeople are interested in. Example: A sporting goods and apparel store has 3 separate text clubs for baseball, football, and soccer fans.
Target the most relevant group
- Target a group of a local store that has an overstock of a certain item. Send discounts and promotions for items actually available at a patron’s local store. Example: A shoe store notices they have a surplus of sandals in their location so they offer a special sandal sale at their location to those opted-in to that local store’s text club.
- Target contacts living only in certain states. Give discounts to customers who live where shipping prices are higher. Example: A popular fashion boutique only has locations in New York, but they offer free shipping to anyone living outside of New York to increase e-commerce sales.
- Send out special offers to your most engaged and loyal brand advocates. Through Mobiniti’s text marketing software, you can see the percentage of who is opening your text messages by frequency. Reward your most loyal brand advocates who are most likely to click through on your text messages with special offers and discounts. Example: A men’s suit store sends out a special offer to the top 5% of their most engaged advocates with a special 40% off coupon.
If you follow these general ideas, then you will have successfully personalized your campaigns. This will ultimately lead to your company becoming closely connected to your subscribers. As a result, you will have shown them that you care, generated more sales, and increased customer loyalty, all at low marketing costs – for just pennies per message.
Post a comment below with your example use case of how a retail or e-commerce store might segment their list or target specific customers in their campaigns. If you’re not a Mobiniti customer yet, sign up for 100 free messages or a free demo!